As a luxury charter boat operator at the V&A Waterfront, we at Tigger 2 have a particular interest in the history of the harbour and the well-known waterfront, a mecca for local residents, holidaymakers, tourists, shoppers, diners, movie and theatre goers, and all who love to have a variety of fun things to do in one central location.
In the very early days of the first European settlement in Cape Town, the Dutch employees of the VOC undoubtedly lived a hard, harsh life – more of a struggle to survive rather than settling into a newly established refuelling station for passing ships en route to and from the East Indies.
No Waterfront and No Fun
There was no V&A Waterfront and there was little, if any, fun. No vineyards had yet been planted; wine and spirits, typically associated with sociable activities and fun, were imported from Europe and were in short supply. Nonetheless, today’s modern V&A Waterfront owes its existence to these early days of Dutch mariners and their settlement and shelter in the bay of the Cape of Storms, later the Cape of Good Hope, now Table Bay and Cape Town, the Mother City of South Africa and South Africans.
Fun Things to Do and See
- The Two Oceans Aquarium.
- The Zeitz MOCAA (Museum of Contemporary African Art) – a recent addition to the V&A Waterfront – the largest art museum on this continent and the biggest art museum in the world that only showcases African art.
- The South African Maritime Museum.
- Understand why diamonds are a girl’s best friend, perhaps as well as her best source of fun – at the Cape Town Diamond Museum.
- Helicopter flights – a fun way of viewing the waterfront and surrounding scenery.
- Ride on the Cape Wheel for panoramic views.
- Clay pigeon shooting or practising your golf drive from the deck of the Tigger 2 Royale.
- Have fun with comedians at the Cape Town Comedy Club.
- Take a romantic sunset cruise or host a cruise party aboard the Tigger 2 Royale.
- Dine to your heart’s delight at a host of restaurants of all types, styles, and cultures at the V&A Waterfront.
There truly are so many fun activities in and around the waterfront that you’ll find it difficult to decide in which order to proceed. Why not start with a Tigger 2 luxury cruise and take your time to consider what to do next, because there’s no shortage of fun things to do at the waterfront.